The Clean Sweep program is Stockton's clean up program for residents living in single-family homes, duplexes, or triplexes. The program runs from February through October annually.
Clean Sweep is a City of Stockton program. If you live outside of Stockton's city limits or in County pockets, please contact the San Joaquin County Solid Waste Division using the contact information provided under the External Links below.
Clean Sweep piles are collected by appointment only. Residents must call their garbage company two weeks in advance of their requested appointment date. If you are unsure which garbage company services your home, use the About Your Address feature to find out.
Three (3) cubic yards of bulky waste will be collected at no charge, once a year, between February and October.
Acceptable Bulky Waste Items
- Carpets and pads
- E-waste (TVs, computer monitors, VCRs)
- Up to six (6) 30-gallon bags of household waste or green waste
- Tires - a maximum of five (5) without rims
- NO loose, unbagged items
- NO dirt, rock or concrete
- NO bags over 40 pounds
- NO engines or engine parts
- NO car batteries
- Clean concrete may be accepted by San Joaquin County Public Works Channel Maintenance. To learn more, please use the link provided under External Links below.
- NO hazardous waste (such as paint, motor oil, pesticides, pool chemicals, batteries, etc.). These materials can be properly disposed of at the San Joaquin County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Please see External Links below.
- NO medical waste
- Over-the-counter and prescription medicine, as well as medical sharps (syringes, hypodermic needles, and lancets), can be properly disposed of at the San Joaquin County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Please see External Links below.
- NO biological waste
- NO liquids
Preparing items for pickup
The garbage company will provide detailed information on how to set out your pile. Here are a few guidelines to get you started:
- Items placed at the curb should measure no more than 3 cubic yards (measurements: 3 feet high, 9 feet long, and 3 feet wide).
Put your discarded bulky items at the curb the evening before your scheduled pickup day.
- If more than three (3) cubic yards are set out, a bulky waste charge will apply for each additional cubic yard.
- Set outs greater than 10 cubic yards will not be picked up and are referred to Code Enforcement for handling.
Do not place loose items at the curb. All items must be bagged or boxed.
- Place items at the curbside in the street in front of your residence and away from vehicles. Do not block traffic.
- Do not place your pile out until the night before collection. Placing material out before the approved time will result in Code Enforcement action for blocking the right-of-way and a possible fee for removal of the pile.
- All bags or boxes must weigh 40 pounds or less when full and be strong enough to hold the items without breaking.
- Uncontainerized material will not be collected.
If you have any questions or need more information, please contact your garbage company directly.
(209) 466-3604 (209) 946-5711
StocktonRecycles.com - information about recycling
San Joaquin County Solid Waste Division - (209) 468-3066 for information about waste collection services for Stockton residents living outside the city limits.
San Joaquin County Household Hazardous Waste Facility - San Joaquin County facility where you can properly dispose of household hazardous waste.
Republic Services - Corporate web page for the Stockton service area
Waste Management - Corporate web page for the Stockton service area
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 8/30/2022