The Family Crimes Unit of the Stockton Police Department Investigations Division handles missing person reports. A Missing Person Report should be filed as soon as you are concerned about a person's absence.
Reporting Missing Person
- Emergency - Dial 9-1-1
- Non-Emergency - Dial (209) 937-8377
Missing persons are reported through the state via California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS) by the Stockton Police Department. The Police Department also participates in the State of California's AMBER Alert System for child abduction cases.
The report remains in the system until cancelled. So if a missing person returns home or you learn of their whereabouts, please call the Police Department and cancel your report.
Parents of Missing Children
As parents, you are the best source for finding your missing child. Having a list with the names of your child's friends, classmates, and locations your child likes to go can be helpful to law enforcement.
Actions Parents Should Take
- Check with child's friends, school, neighbors, relatives, or anyone else who may know child's whereabouts. Ask them to notify you if they hear from the child.
- Call or check several local spots your child may frequent.
- Check with area hospitals and treatment centers.
- If your child is employed, call the employer or co-workers.
- Call your local runaway hotline.
- Contact the National Runaway Switchboard at 1-800-621-4000. Ask if your child has left a message, and leave a message for him or her.
- Check online sites on runaways. (See External Links below.)
- Report the runaway to the local police.
- Provide police with recent photo of your child, fingerprints and dental records, and DNA samples.
- Have posters or fliers made of your child include:
- Date of birth
- Hair color
- Eye color
- Other physical characteristics, such as glasses, braces, tattoos, scars, birthmarks, etc.
- Description of clothing
- Circumstances of disappearance, including place last seen
- Contact information for you and the Stockton Police Department
Missing Persons Organizations
Amber Center for Missing & Exploited Children - 1-800-541-0777
The Stockton Safe House (Center for Positive Preventive Alternatives) - (209) 929-6700
Child Quest International - (888)818-4673
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children - 1-800-843-5678
National Runaway Switchboard - 1-800-621-4000
Polly Klaas Foundation - 1-800-587-4357
Vanished Children Alliance - (800)-VANISHED or 1-800-826-4743
Watch Dog Missing Children Hotline - (888)-KID-SEARCH or 1-888-543-7327
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 4/30/2015