California Carrying Concealed Weapon (CCW) Requirements
The Police Department issues permits to carry a concealed weapon and provides for the biennial renewals of issued permits to residents who meet the following criteria:
- Resident of city of Stockton
- At least 21 years of age
- Good moral character
- Submit a completed application that includes extensive personal information, much of which may be subject to public access under the Public Records Act
- Free from criminal convictions that would disqualify applicant from CCW
- Fingerprints will be required and criminal background check conducted
- Show good cause for issuance of CCW, including facts establishing a clear and present danger to the life or personal safety of the applicant necessitating a CCW and no other reasonable means whereby applicant's personal safety can be assured.
- Pay all associated application fees, set by statute and City Council resolution; non-refundable even if application is denied
- Proof of ownership and registration of any weapon to be licensed for concealment
- At least three letters of character reference, other than immediate family members
- Free from any medical and psychological conditions that might make applicant unsuitable for CCW
- Complete all required training
CCW License Fees
- State Processing Fee: $93 ; must be paid in full with application
- City Fee: $104 ; 20% due with application = $20.80
- Fingerprint Fee: $22.50 ; 20% due with application = $4.50
- Total Fees: $219.50
- Fees due with application: $118.30 prepaid
- Balance due at issuance of CCW: $101.20
CCW License Application
If you live within a jurisdiction of a city police department, you may apply to the City police department or county sheriff's office for a CCW license. However, only residents of a city may apply to a city's police department for a CCW license. The agency can answer your questions and provide copies of their CCW policy statement and the State's Standardized CCW Application.
For the city of Stockton, begin the application process by printing the 20-page application to submit to:
Stockton Police Department
22 E. Market Street
Stockton, CA 95202
Monday through Thursday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Every other Friday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
CCW Licenses - Other States
For information on the State of California CCW law, including whether California law recognizes CCW licenses issued by other states, please click on the External Links below for the State of California Department of Justice.
State of California Department of Justice (DOJ)
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 6/29/2018