City logo and web banner

Municipal Utilities InformationEffluent Ready for Discharge to the San Joaquin River

Regulatory Compliance

MUD's mission is to comply with numerous environmental regulations to protect the waters that sustain our lives, the land we live on, and the air we breathe.  The Regulatory Compliance Officer works with Federal, State, and local regulators to ensure the quality of each drop of water we use and works closely with MUD staff in every aspect of water, wastewater, and stormwater handling.


MUD maintains a library of past permits, reports, and documents.  To view a list of available documents not posted to the site, please visit our Archived Documents list.


The wastewater, stormwater, and water utilities operate under the regulations and requirements of permits issued by the State. 


MUD’s operating permits include:

Wastewater (NPDES) Permit

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Wastewater Permit is issued pursuant to the Federal Clean Water Act through the State Water Resources Control Board and the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board.  The permit governs the quality of the treated wastewater discharged from the treatment plant to the San Joaquin River.


Stormwater NPDES Permits

The City of Stockton and San Joaquin County jointly maintain an area-wide municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) permit to discharge stormwater runoff from storm drains within their jurisdictions. The Stormwater utility also manages the City’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Stormwater Permit and all the monitoring, testing, education, and programs required under the permit. 


Collection System Permit

The State Water Resources Control Board has issued a general permit Waste Discharge Requirement that applies to all wastewater collections systems throughout the State.  This permit is intended to minimize sanitary sewer overflows (spills) from collection systems through requirements for proper operation and maintenance.  Requirements were phased in from 2007 through 2014.


Air Permits

MUD has a number of permits issued by the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District that govern the quality of emissions from combustion equipment such as cogeneration engines, boilers, direct drive motors, emergency electric generators, and a digester gas flare. 

Specific fees for MUD services can be found in the Fee Schedule under the Municipal Utilities Department.



External Links

There are currently no external links.

This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 5/13/2015