The Business License Tax Division ensures businesses operating within the City of Stockton comply with the Stockton Municipal Code Business and Rental Tax requirements. The Business License Tax Division uses field enforcement and multiple lead sources. Lead sources include but are not limited to the State Board of Equalization, Fictitious Business Names, inter-governmental referrals, and citizen reports/complaints.
Business License Tax generates additional revenue for the General Fund, which provides police and fire protection, street maintenance, libraries, parks, and other City services.
City of Stockton Municipal Code Section 5.04.040 states no person shall engage in any profession, trade, calling, occupation, or business without first having procured a license. Self-employed persons and independent contractors are also required to pay the Business Tax.
Disability Access and Education Fee (SB 1186)
On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law SB-1186 which adds a state fee of $1 on any applicant for a local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof.
This fee helps:
- increase disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and
- develops educational resources for businesses to facilitate compliance with federal and state disability laws.
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. Learn more about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws using the External Links below.
To obtain a Business License:
- complete a Business License Application and
- return the completed application to Administrative Services, Business License Division by mail, fax, or hand deliver.
Business License Applications & Forms
- Business License Application (67kb, 2 pages)
- Commercial / Industrial Rental Property Owners (89kb, 2 pages)
- Declaration of Closure of Business (439kb, 1 page)
- Home Occupation Permit (4 pages)
- Motorized Food Wagon / Ice Cream Owner Application (60kb, 2 pages)
- Pedicab Business License Application (56kb, 2 pages)
- Previous Years Gross (61kb, 1 page)
- Private Security Permit Application (171kb, 3 pages)
- Refund Request (31kb, 1 page)
- Request for Information (Information / Copies / Research Requests) (30kb, 1 page)
- Residential Rental Property Owners (63kb, 2 pages)
California Department of General Services - Division of the State Architect
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 2/2/2015